Follow by Email

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Belated Post! National Cancer Survivors Day

I've been super busy with work, family, friends, and living a normal life! (albeit with monthly infusions of Keytruda) that my poor blog has become neglected. Ugh, must do better!

But I did want to write a short (belated) post that for National Cancer Survivors Day on Sunday, June 5th, I was honored to write a short guest post on the official website for National Cancer Survivors Day.

It's amazing that I get to call myself a survivor and after being in this battle for so long (and in remission for almost 11 months!!) that it was a true joy to be able to celebrate this day in a different way than the past 6 years. It's funny, I used to think about cancer every single day. Several times a day--sometimes so often that I would get overwhelmed, choked up and desperately wanted to escape my body and my mind to get away from it. And now...I don't. I don't know when it happened, but my priorities shifted and cancer went from being an everyday thing to a sometime thing.

Now I definitely do still think about cancer, especially when I'm forced to go in to the doctor for an infusion or appointment. And I do still have the prospect of a future PET scan which will tell if this remission is still holding out, so occasionally those thoughts keep me up at night. But, the crying fits and anxiety (about cancer at least, lol) are much less in the past year then they have been during this entire journey. And that? Is amazing.

I'm still concerned about the future and what these treatments have done to my body and the long-lasting effects. But I just try and take it one day at a time. Two close family members were recently diagnosed with breast cancer and I tried to provide perspective to both of them...not the "stay strong" BS that I hate, but the advice to just "do you"...basically you have to live your best life (hey Oprah!) and only you can decide what that means and how you'll get there.

Cheers to all the survivors out there!!

9 comments:

  1. You're amazing and a real inspiration. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and went through chemo and radiation over a five month period, I can't imagine having to deal with what you went though. Here's to living your best life. God bless you. Samantha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing and a real inspiration. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and went through chemo and radiation over a five month period, I can't imagine having to deal with what you went though. Here's to living your best life. God bless you. Samantha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transfer the odds into miles. In order to win the Powerball or the Pick 3 one must first travel the equivalent amount of miles in order to win. The Mega Millions odds are 175,000,000 to 1 to win. The Pick 3 is 1,000 to 1 to win. To circle the earth at the equator is approximately 25,000 miles in Thai Lottery New Result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet millions of folks across North America defy the odds against them and keep playing these multi-million lotteries in hopes of winning, but they haven't won Thai Lottery New Result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This park is the homeland of rare varieties of wildlife species like snow leopard, barking deer, civet cat and red pandas. It spreads an area of 205 hectares of land and attracts lots of tourists. After viewing park, trip will now move on to Nathula. This tourist place is one among the Thai Lottery Latest Result favourite destinations of trekkers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sikkim lies in Himalayan for it is this reason that makes it remote and inaccessible. It is popular its extravagant peak topography. Sikkim is a little state and it lies in the eastern ending of the impressive Himalayas bordered by Bhutan, Nepal and Tibet. Sikkim is situated beneath the shielding gloom of its protector divine being - Mount Thai Lottery Latest Result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the way trekkers can take the beautiful views of Koktang, Rathong, Kabru, Simvo, Pandim and Khangchendzonga. You are bound to keep on Thai Lottery Today Result gazing the pearl white peaks surrounding Dzongri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Singhik-The place offers one of the most spectacular and closest views of MountKanchenjunga and its ranges. The area also has a number of interesting short nature trails along the higher ridges. One can also savor the most graceful peak in the Thai Lottery New Result, MountSiniolchu.

    ReplyDelete