Follow by Email

Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011--My Year!


It's hard to believe that it's finally 2011. This past year has been filled with so many ups and downs, it was an emotional roller coaster. I thought 2009 was bad because that was the year I was diagnosed with cancer, but 2010 took the cake. So I am more than happy to usher 2010 into the past and welcome 2011--which will be the last year I have cancer. I must declare it that this year I WILL be cancer free and rid my body of this disease. It's also the year I'm getting married (6 more months to go!), so it's My Year, a year of new beginnings, a new chapter, a fresh start.

The holidays are always my favorite time of the year and I was in pretty good spirits until I found out that Gemzar, the chemo drug I was taking, was attacking my lungs and landed me in the hospital for 4 days. It was awful. Even more so was the news that I could no longer take this drug since it was toxic to my lungs and I would have to move on to C-MOPP. This regimen is what was used before ABVD (the very first chemo that I had) and it has much more worse side effects than Gemzar. So finding out this news right before Christmas really upset me. Ross and I had planned to go to Charlotte and get a lot of wedding stuff done and now I had this on my mind. But Ross and my parents both emphasized that we would still have a great holiday and we wouldn't let this news stop us. And suprisingly it was one of the best holidays I ever had! I spend a week and a half at home with my family and it was just what I needed, a break from everything going on in New York. I felt such peace being at home again. Ross came into town after Christmas and since its very possible I will lose my hair again with this new treatment, I had frantically emailed my wedding planner Heather last minute to ask if there was any way that my photographer Tara could take our engagement photos while we were in Charlotte. Well God worked miracles in my life this past week because Tara agreed to take the photos even though she was sick with the flu (thank you Tara!!!!) and Heather got permission for us to shoot at this fabulous mansion in the area. These ladies made my day, it was so amazing how everything fell into place. Oh and there was a blizzard that left snow everywhere but I didn't want snow in my pictures (Yes,I can be a total bridezilla) and somehow, enough had melted by the time that we took them that it all worked out. Everything was perfect and I can't wait to see the pictures!! Ross and I literally had appts every day with different wedding vendors, sometimes two a day, but it was good because we got a lot done. And then I was a bridesmaid in my friend Eboni's wedding on New Years Day. So it really was a magical week for me, everything I wanted to accomplish was done and I couldn't ask for a better holiday!

It was bittersweet to say goodbye to my parents and my brother this morning as Ross and I headed back to New York. Tomorrow I start the C-MOPP treatment and I don't know what to expect. Will I be really sick? Will I feel really tired? It just sucks because I feel sooooo good right now, in fact I'm on steroids because of my lungs and I have a lot of energy, so I don't want to lose that. But I also want to move forward and be done with this once and for all. A friend from college who was fighting Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma texted me last week and said his PET scan showed that he is cancer free and I am so happy for him and can only imagine how amazing that must feel, especially at the beginning of a new year. And I want that feeling so bad I can taste it! I can literally imagine writing the blog post, calling friends, sending emails, shouting on the rooftops that I'm cancer-free! (I'm smiling as I type this) So it's going to happen, I just need to get through this yucky stuff first. The pic above is of Ross and I toasting the new year, 2011 is Our Year!!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the engagement pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2011 will totally be your year, Morgan!! I have complete faith in that. There is something so magical and hopeful about starting not only a new year, but also a new decade!

    If there is anything you need when you start C-MOPP, you know exactly where to find me and never be afraid to ask for anything at all! I am amazing at suggesting snacks during the day, reminding you to drink plenty of water and telling you when to rest ;-)

    Happy New Year, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Becca, I'm so excited, I saw some "sneek peeks" and I think they will look good!

    -Thanks Candie, I can always count on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Morgan,
    I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that I'm thinking about you.
    Ms. Graddy

    ReplyDelete