Follow by Email

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Staying Strong?

When I was first diagnosed, people would often say to me "stay strong" or "your strength inspires me" and I would agree that I was strong and I would bask in their admiration because I did feel like I was strong person. I felt like cancer picked the wrong person to mess with and I had no doubt that I would make it through this horrible experience in 6 short months, victorious and of course fabulous.

Yet, with each setback, the phrase "stay strong" has come to irritate me. I no longer feel strong, I know longer feel courageous and I no longer have a desire to be anyone's inspiration. So when someone tells me those things, I smile and nod on the outside, but on the inside I feel like crumbling. I feel like my positivity and strength has been slowly chipped away by each disappointment. On one hand, I do understand how people can believe that I am still this wonderfully strong, inspiring person because I get up everyday and face the world usually with a smile on my face. Yet, they're not there when I have my deepest darkest moments and have tears streaming down my face. The reality is, I cant sit around and cry all day. I have to go to work because I need health insurance and I need to pay my bills. I have to make it through each day balancing my real life and my medical life. I may seem ok on the outside but in the inside, the word "cancer" is usually never far from my mind. I don't think its being strong, I think its doing what I have to do--as anyone in my situation would do.

So I struggle with this each and every day as my world gets harder and harder. I just want to be cancer-free and healthy, then call me strong and inspiring. Right now I feel like a person just trying to make it through each day, putting one foot in front of the other. I'm trying to build up my strength and positivity so I can get through this next step.

I finally saw a picture of the scan and there is a small clump of cancer cells on the right side of my chest. So the plan is for me to have a med called Gemzar once a week, for 3 weeks in a row. They're not sure how long I'll be on this drug, I guess it depends on how it does. The good thing is that the side effects are supposed to be minimal, so hopefully I shouldn't get sick.

Today was the day of the NYC Marathon and since my new apt is on 5th ave, we were able to see the runners come right past our building around the 22nd mile. It was amazing to see people of all ages run 26.2 miles (esp those wearing Leukemia and Lymphoma Society shirts, I cheered hardest for them) and it reminded me of the race that I'm in as well. For lack of better words, I'll use a silly metaphor; at the beginning of this journey I thought I was running a short 5k, but it turns out, I'm really running a marathon. Part of me feels like a fool because I thought it would be a short race, noone told me the race would be this long and I realllyyyy hate running. But as much as I hate running and would never choose to run a marathon on my own, I want to reach that finish line sooo bad, so I guess I'll have to keep running.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Morgan:
    We pray every day for your strength and courage. Thanks for your incredible words that describe your journey. You will cross that finish line, Daddy, Ross and I will be the ones cheering the loudest!! Remember you have so many family members, friends and people you don't even know praying for you.
    Love,
    Mommie

    ReplyDelete