Follow by Email

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Roses and Thorns

The Obamas do it each night, the Kardashians used to do it over dinner, and I'm sure a lot of families have played this game. The "roses and thorns" game is when you describe a good thing that happened that day (rose) and a low moment or tough problem that happened (thorn). It's a game I didn't even realize I was playing with myself each day, except it should have been called "thorns and thorns" as I was always listing everything that was something negative. But a few days ago I realized that I needed to add the roses in there, as I am (and always have) been grateful for the good things in my life. Yeah it sucked that I had to stay in the hospital for a few days, but the rose is that everything turned out fine. I'm really stressed out about the growth of the hair on my head, but the rose is that my eyebrows came back beautifully and I actually had enough hair to get them professionally done on Friday. I'm scared out of my mind for the future, but the rose is that I'm alive today and getting better each day. I could go on and on about the roses in my life, but somehow its so much easier to think about the thorns.

I realized that I hadn't been thankful enough for the happy moments in my life and I needed to really thank God for the blessings that he's given me throughout this experience. So I went back to church today for the first time in a while (I had been once since I was released from the hospital) and fittingly enough the sermon was about turning to God during the good times AND the bad times in your life. It's so easy to dismiss the good times, but as soon as something bad happens, you fall to your knees and ask God why. I know I've been guilty of that so many times and each time I lament over something negative in my life, I'm trying to remember all the positives. So much of my treatment couldn't have been possible without my job, my family, my faith and there have been so many blessings along the way.

So the pastor at my church urged the congregation to stop being a pessimist and thank God for simply waking you up each day, because when you think about that, that's pretty huge. It's a lesson I think I'll need to continually remind myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment