Follow by Email

Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's spelled H-O-D-G-K-I-N-S

Ok, so I'm the person that can't spell.  I consistently spell "Michael" wrong (does the "e" or the "a" come first?? I can never remember) and I always spell "decision" wrong, so its almost humorous to me that I can't seem to spell my own disease right.  Every single time I'm writing it, I want to leave out the "G"!  I don't know why, it doesn't make sense, but it does make me laugh each time...a little cancer humor, ya know? Spell check is my best friend, it prevents me from sending crazy emails to clients at work, but I think I should learn how to spell Hodgkin's if I want to continue to write about it. So it occurred to me that not everyone may know what HL (abbreviations are sooo much easier than worrying about spelling something) is.  Here's my definition, with help from the internet:

HL is one of two common forms of cancer of the body's lymphatic system.  The lymphatic system is a network of lymph nodes and interconnecting lymph vessels. Lymph nodes are small pea-shaped organs that make and store lymphocytes, a type of white blood cells that fight infection.  In HL, a cancerous tumor develops in a lymph node, usually in the neck or chest.  The disease is characterized by the presence of the Reed-Sternberg cells and as it progresses it may affect the body's ability to fight infection. The disease shows 2 peaks, the first in young adulthood (age 15-35) and the second in those over 55 years. The cause is unknown and its really just the luck of the draw.  Fortunately, it is one of the most treatable forms of cancer and most patients go on to live long, healthy lives. 

Ta da!  And there you go in a nutshell. I feel like I've learned so much in the 3 weeks since my diagnosis, I can only imagine what I'll knowledge I'll have when this is all done. I want to learn anything and everything about this disease and I even try and read my doctor's files when he puts them on the table....knowing I have no idea what half the stuff means!  But if you're more informed, you can make better decisions so thats what I'm aiming for.

1 comment:

  1. You hang in there, girl! This is such a fabulous idea - and you are such a fabulous gal! I love your attitude and your confidence and your faith and your humor. I think you just earned a new nickname: F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!

    ReplyDelete